Friday, June 06, 2014

I gave cleaned at the office

A couple times a year, our office has a "cleaning" day. Part of the duties include the scary basement, drawers full of musty documents and a fairly casual attitude toward the official records retention policy.

We also do a fairly deep clean of the office area. While our cleaning guy regularly vacuums and gets rid of the trash, his duties don't include dusting, or cleaning up after the people born in a barn people who use the kitchen.

Naturally, since I both rarely use the kitchen and clean up after myself when I do, the kitchen is my assigned cleaning area. In fact, it's been so the last three or so times we've done this.

I don't mind - much. I've a system for doing it, bringing the cleaning supplies I need from home (no, dear coworker who tried to grab my Swiffer, you may not use it until I'm done, and maybe not even then; bring your own next time and get off my lawn).

This time, however, I won't make the mistake I did last time. Last time, I started cleaning when I arrived at the office, around 6:30 a.m. By the time most other people wandered in at 8 - 8:30, I was about half done. Apparently, people don't think you've done something unless they see you do it (and heaven knows, since they can't see the grime and mess they leave, they can't really be expected to notice how much better it is when it's clean). So, I'm waiting a bit to start today.

At the end of the day, things do look a bit better. The overpowering, eye-watering smell of multiple different chemical cleaners is proof that things are clean.

Right?

No comments: