Saturday, June 28, 2014

Ding dong

There's nothing quite like the thought of company coming to spur one to taking care of nagging little household tasks.

Last fall, the doorbell quit working. It plays the Westminster chimes (though unlike the video - which I love because you can see the chiming action - the doorbell obviously does not ring the hour). It can be heard from anywhere in the condo, in fact, I have a sneaking suspicion it could be heard in the parking garage.

There is a second doorbell, though it is located in the center of the door, just under the peephole. The painters very conveniently painted the button the same brown as the rest of the door, so it isn't easy to see.

Anyway, I hadn't gotten around to fixing it. It was already pretty cool out went it quit, and our winter was one of the coldest on record. I thought it was the outside button, mostly because I couldn't for the life of me get the cover off the inside unit to see if the dang thing were hardwired or battery powered (I realize that makes no sense).

Whilst cleaning the foyer last night (in anticipation of Sunday's company)I decided to give that cover one last chance. The fact that at this particular time of year, at that particular time of day, there is more light in the foyer than at any other time may have been a factor in my successful removal of the cover.

The dang thing runs on three, "D" cell batteries. It must be two decades since I've had to buy a battery that big. No wonder the darn thing is so loud.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the unit back up on the mount...

1 comment:

melissa said...

Hi chicka...been offline for about a week. Just turned my face from my laptop and said, "No, no." :)

Hope your partay will be fun. We're both tidying up, it seems. But thankful it'll be cooler here. Well, mid-80's sounds downright chilly as compared to an expected over 100 heat index today. ::sigh::