Monday, October 17, 2011

Charity case

'Tis the season. In spite of the recent sightings of Christmas decorations and gift baskets, I'm not referring to that season. No, 'tis the season of the Community Campaign.

A few years ago, our Advancement department had the idea of combining our annual scholarship solicitation with the local United Way and United Performing Arts Fund drives. Since they were going through the effort to  solicit all employees for the UW/UPAF drive, they figured the university may as well get a piece of the generosity.

That's fine with me; one less begging letter crossing my desk. What isn't fine with me are the various ways I'm being strong armed into availing myself of this "opportunity" to give. The official message from the fund drive chair - reinforced by our new president - that we are striving for 100% participation. Reiteration in an e-mail from our area vice president. Pitting the two divisions in Finance against one another, with the highest percentage of participation earning a prize. Adding insult to injury was the automated solicitation telephone call to my work number, received over a week after I made a contribution.

Make no mistake: I'm all for helping as much as I can, and I happen to work in a place that values generosity in both gifts of cash and time. What rubs me the wrong way is the spirit in which it is done. Giving is lauded, celebrated, receives brownie points on annual evaluations and is expected, without being expressly stated. Doing charity work in venues other than the campus is appreciated, but working in a campus-supported ministry earns the gold star.

Whatever happened to humility in charity?

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. 


"Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you."

Matthew 6:1 - 4

No comments: