Monday, September 27, 2010

Geek cred

After today, I have certainly earned a degree of official geek cred.  The notebook computer I bought comes preloaded with - almost nothing.  Which is actually a nice thing, as it meant I didn't have to spend a great deal of time removing bloatware (well, except for all the games - play through the trial period, then uninstall.  It's a rough life).

Thanks to my employer, I'm eligible for a ridiculously low cost license for Microsoft Office Professional 2010.  Then there are the reinstallations of various other things - the Bible software I use, iTunes, the free virus software, Google Chrome...the list goes on.

After five hours, everything is installed, working and customized.  My email is accessible through Outlook (which, for the life of me, I've never been able to get working on the desktop at home).  All this was done while lounging at Starbucks, sipping a latte and watching old episodes of Stargate:Atlantis on the ipod.  And reading in a couple of different books (sometimes simultaneously (the books and ipod, not two books at a time)(though I've done that occasionally, too)).

This is what our software techs do all day.  Just think of the reading I could get done if I switched departments!

No comments: