Sunday, January 31, 2010

I'd say I need a break, but it may be best not to use the word "break" anywhere near me

I can't seem to catch one. Break, that is. Yesterday afternoon I went to throw a small load of clothes into the dryer and discovered that it is...broken. Not happy about this. It's not unexpected; the dryer is thirty years old, and between the landlord and the electricians/plumbers shoving it around and surging power through it, it really didn't stand a chance. I am blaming this on the final phase of the great electrical upgrade of '09.

Apparently, when the electricians were here back in November, they told the landlord that the final step would be We Energies coming out to reset something, and that they just come when they come. The landlord never bothered to relay that piece of information. If he had, I would have made sure every day when I left for work that the computer was powered down, the sewing machine unplugged and any other important electronics protected in some way.

As usual, you can see where this is going. I came home a week ago Friday, to find the computer having a nervous breakdown, all the clocks in the house going haywire and the battery back up on my clock radio fried. I thought I had everything working, but I never did think to check the appliances downstairs.

This creates an interesting dilemma. I truly do not intend to be here any longer than another 2 to 2 1/2 years, max (much shorter if stuff like this keeps happening). I don't intend to take either the washer or dryer with me when I go; the next tenant is welcome to them (they are mine, not provided by the landlord), or I'll offer them free on Craig's list to anyone who wants them. I'd much prefer this one be repaired rather than have to look for a new or used replacement.

This is not the best time for me to take time off to babysit the repairman, but it has to be done. I have even less time to be running to the laundromat to dry things. Even if I had time to hang things on the line outside, they would freeze before they dry.

Gah. In the grand scheme of things, I realize this is just a mild case of heartburn. But still, will someone just shoot me?

No comments: