Sunday, June 28, 2009

Coffee counter evangelism

...but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you...
1 Peter 3:15 (ESV)

"I'll have a grande skinny caramel latte and a slice of the cinnamon coffee cake for here, please."

The clerk took my debit card, and as she swiped it, asked, "What is it you're studying when you are here?"

Huh?

"I'm trying to read through the Bible this year, and by the weekend, because of other commitments, I'm a day or two behind. Usually, I'm trying to catch up, or doing some other reading."

"I thought it might be a Bible, but didn't want to ask. Some people are, you know, private about that sort of thing."

I laughed. "If I were, I wouldn't be reading it here."

*****

You never know when God is going to give you an opportunity to share your faith. In my case, it came early in the morning, before coffee.

A five minute conversation at the counter - during which God arranged that no other customers come up to order, in spite of this being a generally busy place - plus another few minutes later on was enough time to cover a great deal of ground. Time to plant a few seeds, time to discern specifically how to pray for Ashley.

Evangelism wasn't the first thing on my mind this morning; we are called, however, to be able to explain our faith no matter when we are asked. It needn't be complicated, seven-step and illustrated with cliffs and crosses and colored bracelets; rather, it is as simple as speaking God's truth and explaining how knowing Him has changed our lives. Then get out of the way and let God work.

Heavenly Father, You seem to be opening Ashley's spiritual eyes and ears, softening her heart to hear and understand Your word. I pray that You would continue that work, placing other Christians at both her workplaces and at school who are willing to share the hope that You have given them. Reveal to her her need of a Savior, and show her how Christ alone can fill that role.
In Jesus' name, Amen

No comments: