Saturday, January 03, 2009

And a good time was had by all

Dear friend Renae got married today. Lovely ceremony, excellent dinner, much fun watching a dance floor full of people. It was a bit disconcerting seeing perennial tomboy Renae not only in a dress, but with her hair up and beautifully done make up - she was simply radiant. More discombobulation to see our friend Kim, also a jeans-and-hoodie kind of gal, in her bridesmaid finery, knowing hers is the next wedding I'm attending.

It's always a bit tricky, attending an event at which there are a lot of people from the church I left several years ago. Never sure what kind of reception I'll get. As far as I can tell, only one person was definitely, absolutely not talking to me, and for the life of me, I cannot figure why. In the meantime, I had lovely conversations with his wife and two sons.

Speaking of conversations, I apparently asked exactly the right question of the bride's 8th grade brother, as he talked for fifteen minutes straight without drawing breath about the pre-engineering class he was taking - and loving. Nice to see some enthusiasm about school.

There is still shoe leather between my teeth from the one true social gaffe I made - I had no way of knowing, and managed to deeply insert my foot in my mouth. No permanent offence was taken, (I think).

This is the second time this week that this rapidly-growing-older woman has been out seriously past her bedtime - last day of vacation tomorrow, time to rest up for the work week.

No comments: