Friday, January 11, 2008

Christmas quilt

The roll of film recently developed included pictures of quilts I made some time ago, but never took the time to record for posterity. This red and green Christmas quilt is one of those.

The fabric was purchased at least sixteen years ago, as I already had it when I moved in here, for a Robbing Peter to Pay Paul pattern quilt. The two-color scheme and curved piecing gives a very cool secondary pattern to that quilt. By the time I finally sat down to do something with the fabric in the fall of 2003, my desire to cut and piece all those curves had waned.

Instead, I decided to do pinwheels. They are a bit hard to discern in this picture.

Try this next one:
Look at the bottom of the quilt, below the narrower line of blocks and find the spot where four red triangles meet. Or four green ones, for that matter. That is the center of the pinwheel block. The smaller blocks are also pinwheels, half the size of the larger blocks.

The backing is white flannel; the trim six inch wide eyelet lace I happened to have hanging around (no, I have no idea why I would have almost nine yards of 6" wide white eyelet, but I did). The batting is a double layer of some high-loft poly batting that was hanging around. It was finally finished in time for Christmas 2005.

It isn't the best work - many, many triangles are decapitated, and the quilting is extremely simple. Still, it makes me smile every time I've put it out for the holidays.

No comments: