Friday, January 04, 2008

Auction quilt

Well, I finally picked up the pictures I took in for developing last week. As suspected, the pictures are a year old, and are all of quilts or various quilted items.

This is the first of the bunch. This is a lap-sized quilt pieced from a purchased kit. The kit was on a deep discount (roughly $36 for the materials and pattern for the top, plus shipping) and I liked the colors. In fact, it would have looked wonderful in my livingroom - before I got the leather furniture. Anyway, I started piecing it just because it was cute.

In September 2006, the communications committee in our department at work started making plans to have a silent auction at our annual Christmas party, as a way to show some charity (as well as get some cute "stuff"). As the de facto head of the auction committee, I figured I needed to pony up something fairly decent to be bid upon...I also knew that one of the VPs (and friend) had already said, "If Diane makes a quilt, I'm buying it." An incredible compliment - no idea of size, colors or workmanship, and she committed to placing the winning bid.

Little (for me) actual quilting was done on this quilt. The pieced strips with the dark pink squares have large, pointy-leaved flowers centered at the intersection of each pink and green unit. A rope of leaves runs the length of each narrower, purple/pink floral strip, while the beige background strips in the center and on the sides sport a gently curving feathered vine. None of which show up very well, even when you make the picture larger.


Mel did indeed place the winning bid on the quilt, after announcing to one and all what her maximum price would be, good-naturedly letting us run her up to it. The great news is that we raised just over $1000 for Children's Hospital Herma Heart Center; this year, we raised over $1500 for the Caring Bridge.

No comments: