Thursday, January 03, 2008

High Pressure

Back when I had my eye exam, Dr. K suggested that I make an appointment for a more detailed glaucoma screening. I'm incredibly nearsighted, which puts me in the high risk group. Apparently, my pressure reading was at the high end of normal. Now, five years ago they did an ocular ultrasound, and found that the cornea of my eyes is very thick (what the heck, my head is thick, my brain is thick...this seems to be a theme), and I was told not to worry at all about the reading.

But like a good little patient, I scheduled the exam.

Or rather, scheduled it, then had to call to reschedule it for today. Although they seem to have forgotten to put the new appointment correctly in their computer, as when I arrived, they said I had no appointment.

Let's just say they fit me in, but the day went downhill from there. After dilating my eyes (not expected) and pouring some yellow goopy stuff in, and generally making me miserable, the doctor told me my reading was high normal (22), but that my corneas were unusually thick, and that always gave a false high reading - my actual reading was probably around 17-18.

::blink::

So my major medical is now being billed (at the start of the new year, before I have any of my deductible paid) for an exam I really didn't need. Grrr.

I took my goopy, jaundiced, drug-addict eyes out into the bright rays of the setting sun. I decided to pick up some caramel-cashew custard on the way home, as custard cures almost anything.

No comments: