Thursday, March 14, 2019

Changes

The more advanced my age becomes, the more I'm noticing an aversion to change. I freely admit I've never been much of a free-wheeling, go-where-the-wind-blows gal, but this tendency to dig into my trench with a pitchfork in hand, fending off all comers with a shouted "Get off my lawn!" is a bit over the top.

"Routine" is viewed by many as a dirty word. I'm starting to develop a certain fondness for it.

This last weekend's time change should have been a snap for me. As a charter member of the RER* Club, the fact that the clock reads an hour later than it had been when I wake up is a good thing. My usual inconvenient, fotry-five minutes before the alarm clock goes off wake up should be eliminated.

And so it was, for the first two days.

My body, however, has now descended into a confusion that benefits only the coffee industry.

I have no issues falling asleep at my usual time (while I never served in the military, I have developed the military ability of falling asleep on cue, any time, any place). Most nights I get up around one or so for a bathroom trip, then settle right back down into the twilight of dreams.

Not so the last couple of nights.

Last night, or rather this morning, I got up at 1:30, made my trip and hopped back in bed.

And laid there.

My mind wasn't racing, the room was neither too hot nor too cold.

I was just...awake.

That was it for the night. Naturally, this would be the only time this week I have an appointment after work, one I don't want to reschedule (monthly root touch up at the salon - routine, you know). I won't be home until around 6:30 or a bit later.

Stupid time change. Add my vote to the effort to get this country on one or the other time scheme permanently.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go slurp down the rest of my (first) large coffees. I may make a trip later to the campus Starbucks, or //shudder// drink a cup or two of the office coffee to stay functional.

*Ridiculously Early Riser. Yeah, my usual get up time (as opposed to wake up time) is 4 a.m.)

No comments: