Saturday, March 08, 2014

Justification for going to bed before eight on a Saturday night

Being this tired before the time thief hits is not a good thing. I can't remember the last time I was this tired.

It started Thursday night. While I went to bed early, I ended up getting up five separate times in the night with a stomach upset. Not fun. The next day didn't go much better - an 11 1/2 hour workday (not my choice; I had a list of things I needed to get done, but every ten minutes my boss was running in my office with something he wanted me to check (that was part of a request from our area VP on Monday that I thought had been dealt with), interrupting my train of thought and delaying my progress. Let's just say that if he asks me on Monday why everything I was trying to get done isn't done, it will be justified homicide).

I'd planned to go in for a bit this morning, but honestly, I'm not sure I could add one plus one without a calculator, much less put together a coherent schedule for a tax return. Besides, I had a grocery order coming between noon and two.

In spite of the fatigue, quite a bit got done around home today. The early part of the morning was spent wandering through my favorite embroidery design website looking for a "curly" alphabet that didn't look too girlish. A friend's son is making his first communion, and they do little banners that are carried in as part of the procession. He wants "curly" letters. I've found a couple of alternatives to stitch up for his approval before I put it on the banner.

Yes, one of my first embroidery jobs is for an eight year old.

Downstairs around nine for breakfast (Kashi toaster waffles and previously cooked, then frozen, now micro-warmed turkey breakfast sausage) and coffee, then a bit of kitchen cleaning. The grocery order came right at noon - the second time in a row I've been the first stop in the window. It took a bit to put everything away, and I've still got stuff to cut up. Cantaloupe was on sale, though it's only just bigger than a softball. I like to cut the bell peppers into strips right away, so all that fuss is over. Eh, I just tossed everything into the appropriate storage place and went back to cleaning.

As much as I wanted a nap, I wanted to get some stuff done more, including cleaning a portion of the living room carpet. It's old, it's off white and it's pretty much impossible to keep clean. I made the grocery delivery guy stand outside and hand the bags in to me to keep him from tracking wet over the carpet.

A small package of pork tenderloin slices was thawing for dinner. I almost skipped it, but boy, was it worth it. I've been using Michael Symon's Five in Five cookbook a bit, which are all very quick, tasty, real food recipes. The one I used tonight used the tenderloin slices to make pork saltimboca. Traditionally, it's made with veal (which I love, but who can afford it?), pounded thin and topped with sage and prosciutto. In this recipe, it's dredged in flour, then sauteed. You finish by deglazing the pan, reducing the liquid and adding a bit of butter to make a thin pan sauce.

Yes, it really only takes about five minutes, once you have all the ingredients out.

I added sauteed kale - another really quick dish - to the mix. Kale is apparently the current "it" food, chock full of all sorts of good nutrients and fiber (not so much I'll be up all night again, I hope). Chop a few cloves of garlic, take the kale off the stems and rough chop. Heat some olive oil and cook the garlic until it's soft, but not brown. Add the kale, swish it around then throw in a half cup of water and put the lid on the pan. Let it boil for 4-5 minutes, then take the lid off and let the liquid boil off. Finish with a spritz of red wine vinegar and salt and pepper.

Amazing, I got both dishes and a (microwaved) serving of brown rice all done at the same time. The clean kitchen got a bit wrecked, though.

So...I'm well fed, but even more tired than when I started the day.

And guess who has to be at church at 8 tomorrow to do graphics? I honestly don't mind being there early, but I'll work both services, so I won't be leaving until 12:30 or later.

Yep, I plan to spend tomorrow afternoon on the couch, with my eyes shut.

No comments: