Sunday, August 18, 2013

Rambling kind of weekend

Sometimes, things not going to plan can be a good thing.

This weekend was earmarked for cleaning, freezer cooking and possibly some sewing. The first order of business was to sleep in a bit, so I was still upstairs, dressed in cleaning clothes, trying to decide where to start when the phone rang.

A friend thought I would be up and out (and I usually would be by then), and if I'd like to meet for coffee.

You don't have to ask me twice.

You know those conversations that it's only possible to have with really good friends, where you talk about everything under the sun, skipping from topic to topic? The type that, when you reach a lull, you just sit quiet for a few moments, thinking of parting but reluctant to actually do so?

Yeah, that.

Four hours' worth.

Hunger finally drove us out to the cars.

So much for my cleaning mojo...I spent most of the rest of the day reading, with a little bit of sewing thrown in for fun.

Much the same today, though without the four hour coffee klatch, and with an unintended nap.

The cleaning will get done, eventually. I did do a bit in the kitchen, as a result of pan frying pork chops for dinner in the cast iron pan. A bit too much oil, a little too late with the splatter shield left me a stove that needed cleaning. Once you start there, you may as well do the rest of the kitchen.

And now it's time for bed. My summer day this week is Wednesday, the day the students move back into the dorm to which our office is attached. We are asked to vacate our parking lot on that day, parking in the structure five blocks away. I'm not so keen on walking from the structure at 6:15 in the morning...since I have a day off during the week anyway, I may as well take it on Wednesday.

Who knows? Maybe I'll actually get the cleaning done then.


No comments: