Sunday, March 18, 2012

Springtime

I miss Spring. You know, real Spring - wet, muddy, highs in the forties and fifties Spring. While the sunshine is nice, this bit about tying or bettering previous record high temperatures is getting old. The forecast says highs above seventy for the next three days, at least.

The flora is confused, popping up out of the ground, greening up, bursting forth in buds. It's going to be in for a rude surprise when Mother Nature pulls a fast one and blankets us with another snowstorm. The fauna is equally mixed up; the chipmunk that apparently lives on or near my patio is scurrying around looking for nest building material. The persistent honking of geese can be heard outside the open windows.

Well, the geese can be heard year around; there are just more of them now.

It's worrisome for another reason, as well. If this is the great show for Spring, what is in store for summer? Now that I have central air at my disposal, I'm not quite as concerned about the possibility of a summer of heat for the record books. But I would very much like to enjoy the wonderful patio that was one of the deciding factors in buying this condo. I'm a fragile flower; anything above seventy-two is too hot for me.

Not much we can do but wait to see if Spring is planning to make an appearance, or if we are going to stay at nearly summertime conditions until true Summer.

No comments: