Saturday, September 18, 2010

Gentle Saturday

Around four this morning thunder awakened me.  At that point, I'm not sure it was raining; the skies seemed to be all sound and fury, with nothing significant hitting the ground.   Two hours later, when I was awake for good, rain was streaming down the windows.  I love thunderstorms, so like an idiot, I took myself to Panera to have coffee and look out at the rain (after I went through it to get to the car, then from the car to the restaurant - not real bright here).  A nice morning - a chance to read uninterrupted.

Midmorning I figured it was time to head to Target to refill on tissue.  So did everyone else in the county, apparently.  By the time I snagged a parking spot, my energy was dwindling and mind wandering.  It took twice as long to round up the few items on my list as a result.

Home again...to do as little as possible.  While I may not actually nap, I'm not exactly a bundle of energy.  Sipping soup, doing a couple loads of laundry, printing out pictures of quilts to update my quilt history albums and watching a couple of movies is about it.  And lots of hot chocolate.

The first movie was The Brothers Grimm - directed by Terry Gilliam of Python fame, starring Matt Damon and Heath Ledger.  It's a bit dark and more than a bit odd, but in the end, I enjoyed it.  Ledger's voice is rather off in this role - a sort of proto-Joker thing.  But as Gilliam said in one of the shorts, you have an American and an Australian playing Germans with an English accent...once you got past the voices (and remembered your history, as it is set in French-occupied Germany during the Napoleonic wars), it works.

The one about to hit the player is a classic: Hitchcock's Notorious.  Cary Grant is a favorite anyway, and it's a bit different to see him playing what begins as an unsympathetic role.  Incredible movie.

Early to bed again.  The cold is better, but in order to make it go away completely I probably need at least another day of nothing much.  Happy to oblige...

No comments: