Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Freaking out

And it’s my own darn fault.

I hate having my picture taken, especially in these days of easy-access public media and photo posting crazes on Facebook and the like. Other considerations aside, it is a safety issue for me. It’s easy enough to get an address through public records searches if you have very basic data. Couple that with a picture, and it becomes a piece of cake for those with villainous minds to stake out the flat, waiting to enter for nefarious purposes when I’m out (or in, depending on the particular nefarious purpose).

That would be why I threatened our technical genius at church with an unpleasant death if he dared to take my picture as he was snapping shots with which to update the website. (Sorry, Kev)

So just exactly how did I end up with an appointment to have my picture taken tomorrow for the local newspaper?

About a month ago, the on-line version of the paper had a little mention in the sidebar – they wanted to hear from people who used their iPhone or Ipods for “religious” applications. On a whim, I sent off an e-mail – and promptly forgot about it.

It must be a slow news week; the reporter called today to do an interview. My coffee consumption for the day was adequate, as it seems I gave coherent answers. While I’m certainly not the main subject, based on the e-mail and the interview, she’s planning to use that information as the center of the article, hence the picture.

And thus, the freak out.

Maybe the freak out isn’t really needed; how many people actually read the Religion section of the Sunday paper?

Update: Yay! No photo due to scheduling conflicts (Brewers vs. Cubs and the Air and Water Show taking the photogs, I'm sure). Freak out officially over.

No comments: