Monday, December 14, 2009

"Hello Monday, my old...definitely not friend."

So said a blog buddy on Facebook this morning. Or as my boss put it around 5 p.m. tonight, "I thought it was going to be a slow week, not just day, but week. It certainly doesn't look that way so far."

Hence, the late posting and by implication, dearth of real content. Several posts are wandering through the corridors of my mind, but they aren't getting very far with all the work and pre-vacation things fighting for equal room.

At the end of this week, I'll start two weeks' vacation, and I don't even have the beginnings of a list yet. Currently, the only thing I know for sure will be on it is "sleep in". And possibly "make biscuits and gravy".

A few local things to think about -

Politics...

Kohler Company (of bathroom fame) is looking to have a special interchange built on the highway near their Whistling Straits golf course. The interchange is needed, they say, because every five years or so when they host the PGA championship, traffic is a headache. Kohler is willing to pay half the cost; the state will pick up the rest. The ramps would only be open during the tournament.

The kicker? The state plans to acquire the land for the interchange via eminent domain. They are insisting that there is a greater public good to be served here.

Sports...

The Golden Eagles have had yet another player quit. I think this brings the total of those who've left or not come in the first place (backed out of recruiting deals) to roughly five in the last ten months or so. They are down to only 9 healthy players. The women's team, on the other hand, is on fire; I have tickets to their game next Monday night.

Local color...

One of the delights about living in this neighborhood (yes, there are some) is the carillon at one of the five six churches in the five block radius. It rings the hours from nine a.m. to nine p.m., but they break out the tunes at six. The concert goes on for anywhere from five to ten minutes, seasonal hymns played on the bells, wafting over the houses. They were playing Christmas carols when I came home tonight.

Repetition...

The seven day loan books have been returned to the library; I was about halfway through the second when I realized I really didn't like it. Life is too short to read books you don't really want to read. While at the library, I picked up the final book that they were holding for me - not a seasonal book, but a recent Patricia Cornwell novel, giving me something to read the first weekend of vacation.

Guess what? It turned out to be a seven day book as well.

No comments: