Friday, October 16, 2009

This, that and the other thing

On Tuesday, I decided I really needed Friday off, just because. Apparently, my body got that message loud and clear; by the time I got home from my hair appointment last night, I was ready to go to bed. But six p.m. is early, even for me.

Needless to say, the flourless chocolate cake didn't get made...counting to eight for the eggs would have been a true challenge last night. Instead, I'm about to make (box) brownies, to with the cookies and cream ice cream picked up at Aldi this afternoon. The shredded pot roast is thawed; gravy is simmering.

Rather than rolls, I'm making a mashed/baked potato dish picked up on a random viewing of Everyday Italian. You begin with basic mashed potatoes with equal parts of warmed butter and milk mixed in, then add a cup of mozzarella cheese. Top with a mix of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; bake until the top is brown and a bit crispy. Have you ever tasted heaven?

Everyone is bringing something, as well, so we will have plenty to eat. I'm looking forward to leftovers already. (Yay for not having to cook every day!) As usual, I expect to lose at cards; while I multitask extremely well, it only works if one of the tasks is not carrying on a conversation.

Truth to tell, I've wandered from task to task today, with no real plan. Everything that is really important will get done; methinks the dusting isn't one of them. Unfortunately, turning on the heat has the added bonus of spreading additional dust throughout the house.

Rumor has it that the temperature is supposed to get out of the forties for Sunday - actually up into the fifties. But still partly cloudy. I can't remember the last time I saw the sun for more than an hour or two, and all the gloom is starting to take its toll. This calls for an extended period under the full spectrum lamp I use for quilting. Or a trip to the Bahamas, at least until the gloom passes - say May or so.

Haven't gone near a news site all day, and feel the better for it. May try to avoid all news until Monday, just for fun.

I'm not really sure what time everybody is coming...straight from work, whatever that happens to mean for various people. Better check on the food and grab the (paper, but pretty seasonal paper) plates and silverware. Oh! And find the scoresheets - we need to have a definitive record of my losing.

Update: I won. Won really big. You know what they say, though, lucky at cards, unlucky at love. The other women at the table have been married 35, 33 and 5 years.

Maybe I should start losing?

No comments: