Wednesday, September 09, 2009

This little piggy...stayed home


Or at least "self-isolated". Yes, the first case of H1N1 has officially arrived on campus. Note that the linked article mainly deals with the two hundred cases at UW, not the single case at MU, in spite of the headline.

In my little corner of the campus, I have limited direct contact with students. Not so for some of my coworkers, who not only have quite a bit more contact, but a penchant for sharing any germs they manage to pick up.

A long time ago, someone had the bright idea of putting one of those sponge-on-a-hollow-handle-full-of-dish-detergent things in the kitchen to encourage people to wash their own dishes. While its success in that endeavor is mixed, it has very effectively facilitated the transfer of germs from one person's plate, to the sponge, to another person's plate on the rare occasions it is used.

Which brings me to the office coffee pot. I never use the sponge-on-a-stick, but the other people who wash the coffee pot out do. There's no way to control their actions.

Faced with decaffeination or making my coffee at home and bringing it, I've decided to fire up the coffee pot.

Err, not the one I broke.

It takes five minutes from start to finish to make a flavored latte at home, putting it in a cute stainless travel mug. I haven't been doing it lately because I'm lazy, not out of lack of supplies.

At least I'll be getting my dairy.

No comments: