Monday, February 02, 2009

Groundhog day

Over the years, I've seen racoons, possums, chipmunks, even an errant pet peacock wandering the streets of the city (I'm only counting the live wildlife here, folks). It didn't surprise me, then, to have to stop the car on the way home from church Sunday to let a furry creature finish crossing the road.

It looked a bit like a rat on steroids, with much nicer fur, smaller ears and a bushy, fur covered tail. The coat was a beautiful dark sable - the exact shade I'd love for my hair. Staying on all fours, it calmly lumbered across the street, heading for the nature preserve on the other side.

My first thought, having watched The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe the night before, was that it might be a beaver. Silly me - the tail was all wrong.

It wasn't until this morning that a quick google revealed the truth. It was a groundhog - most likely a relative of the beast who just this morning predicted another six weeks of cold, snowy, icy winter.

I should have run the rodent over.

No comments: