Friday, February 20, 2009

7 quick takes 022009

1. I finally got registration confirmation for the continuing ed classes I'm taking, so I'll be in class the next four Saturdays. Boo. The upside is that I still have nine days of vacation to use before 6/30/09, so I may well take some Mondays off to avoid that burned out feeling. The first class is tomorrow.

2. Oh, right - we are supposed to get five to eight inches of snow overnight Friday up to dinnertime on Saturday. There are upsides to being in class while it is snowing - parking in the structure means no snow to brush off the car, class ending at five means the streets should have been plowed/salted by then, not being home means no chance whatsoever of me being drafted into doing any of the shoveling.

Well, that last one is iffy - landlord cleans at their church on Saturdays, and our house gets only the leftover energy. Still, one can hope.

3. My sewing machine is suing me for abandonment. I've not used it since the wedding cape was finished on about 12/30/08. More than seven weeks. At the moment I'll admit there are a couple of stacks of other stuff on top of the sewing cabinet, so it's a bit difficult to sit down for just a few minutes to sew. Based on my schedule, it's going to be a while longer before any quilty things are touched. Not being able to be creative makes me cranky.

Of course, I don't need the sewing machine to design quilts; I have a wonderful software program for that. If, of course, the desk where the computer sits were any clearer than the sewing table.

4. The Revelation study is about to kick into high gear. This week the evening group will finish the discussion of the messages to the seven churches, then move on to Rev. 4, a description of heaven and the beginning of the hard to unravel imagery. The morning group will start the study next week; while it's nice that the morning group will be behind the evening one (yea for reusing teaching notes!), that early group is much, much more challenging to lead. Still, it's fun.

If there is any interest in my walking through the study here on the blog, let me know in the comments. Be forewarned that I have no interest in arguing preterist, idealist or historicist interpretation perspectives, or even pre-, mid- or post-trib views - I'll let you know what perspective is being presented along with the Scriptural basis and let you make up your own minds. The purpose of the study is to gain an understanding of the events that surround Christ's return, so we can live our lives in a manner that reflects our anticipation of His imminent return.

5. Pardon me while I go get lunch. A coworker promised to bring in lunch for her birthday; she was suppposed to be here at 11:45 - it's 12:20 now. I usually eat lunch at 11...

Did I mention this coworker owns a Hmong deli and catering business? Roast pig, several asian salads and mini-cheesecake slices are on the menu.

Keep feeding us, Ger, and you can be any age you want!

I will, however, need to explain to my 1:30 meeting why my office smells of pork rinds...

6. The disadvantage of being a prolific reader is that every so often, you forget what you've read and pick up the same book, a year or so later. I picked up what appeared to be the most recent in Elizabeth Peters' (real name Barbara Mertz, other pseudonym Barbara Michaels) Amelia Peabody series, but now that I have it, I think I may have already read it.

If you've never sampled her work, do. Under the name Barbara Michaels she writes primarily gentle horror/suspense/ghost novels - try Ammie, Come Home and it's sort-of sequels, Shattered Silk and Stitches in Time.

Under Elizabeth Peters you'll find the Amelia Peabody novels - Amelia is a Victorian maiden who comes into a little money and travels to Egypt. The novels are both a riot (Amelia is a bit of a feminist, and rather...opinionated) and historically accurate; Ms. Mertz has a doctorate from the University of Chicago's Oriental Institute. Start with Crocodile on the Sandbank, the first in the series.

Also under Elizabeth Peters are two mini-series (did I mention she's been writing forever and is very prolific?), one concerning a not-very-demure librarian named Jacqueline Kirby (Die for Love is a hilarious send-up of the romance writing genre, but my personal favorite is The Murders of Richard the Third) and the other revolving around Vicky Bliss, a professor of Art History - try out Borrower of the Night.

7. Fun with figures tonight; we're doing the church audit. I've not had much success reminding people that in my case, my vocation is not necessarily my area of greatest spiritual gifting.

No comments: