Sunday, January 25, 2009

Random Sunday thoughts

The funeral service yesterday was very well attended. Most of Financial Aid - the area Faye directly worked in - attended, along with our area VP and his wife and one of our Assoc. VPs. The only other colleagues from other areas of Finance were Michelle and I, at least for the service; others may have gone to the earlier visitation.

It's been a long time since I've been to a funeral service in another faith tradition. The service included quite a few scripture passages, but managed to surprise me a bit. John 14:1-6 was one of the passages read...it happens to be some verses I have memorized, and when the pastor stopped reading after "Jesus answered, 'I am the way, the truth and the life'", I had to pull out both the pew Bible and the service bulletin to be sure I really heard (or didn't, as the case may be) correctly. Sure enough - the bulletin listed the passage as John 14:1 - 6a, cutting off the final part of the verse -"no one comes to the Father except through me."

So apparently the United Methodists no longer believe in salvation through faith in Christ?

**********

After dropping Michelle at her car, I went out to Pam's to celebrate my birthday. Bad timing, but the birthday get together was planned over a month ago. Good food, good company. The gag gifts include an anti-aging wand and a set of replacement marbles (for the marbles I always complain about losing...) It looks as if she may still move out of state, possibly in the late summer, but rather than Missouri, it may well be California. It's only a temporary move; I'm sure our friendship will stand the distance, but it will certainly be strange not having her here.

**********

This morning I received one of the fastest, clearest, most unequivocal answers to prayer I've ever experienced. Pray (let's keep it real here - it was more like a whine) in the evening, receive the clear answer in the morning. It is amazing the way God takes care of us.

**********

Short day tomorrow, as I have a later afternoon doctor appointment - one that I've rescheduled twice already. It is a miracle of modern medicine, but even though I take one of the last appointments for the day, the office is usually running on time. I never feel rushed during the appointment, either. Perhaps the office exists in some sort of odd time warp, where time runs much more slowly than usual, even though you don't perceive it? Still, it's nice not to have to hang around forever.

**********

That's about it from here. How are you all doing, if you are reading through the Bible with me this year? We're back in Genesis, currently looking at Joseph's sojourn in Egypt. Today's reading led to some work-related thoughts, which I'll post tomorrow night if I have a chance.

No comments: