Friday, January 23, 2009

7 quick takes

And many thanks to Jen for hosting.

1. Another co-worker and I are going to the funeral tomorrow. There's a great deal of irony in the fact that the men's basketball game to which our department is invited as a "thank you" for our hard work starts at exactly the same time as the funeral service. It will be interesting to see who chooses what.

2. A friend is making me a birthday dinner tomorrow, though the rest of the festivities are postponed until a later date. She is a great cook - we take turns trying to outdo each other with our birthday dinners.

3. Graham crackers for breakfast is simply not enough. Normally, I'd have put peanut butter on them and been satisfied, but I've run out of it, and at the moment, buying peanut butter doesn't seem to be a wise move. In retrospect, neither does the decision to sleep an extra fifteen minutes this morning instead of getting up and having oatmeal for breakfast.

4. In yet another twist of irony (she's really getting a workout today), I have quiche for lunch. This particular crustless quiche recipe is quickly becoming part of the regular dinner rotation. I love that I can eat it for any of the three meals of the day (preferably not all the same day), and that it keeps long enough that none of it spoils.

5. I'm reading Hidden in Plain Sight, which goes through 2 Peter 1:1-9, talking about the need to cultivate virtue in our lives in order to live fully as God intended. I love that this is about developing character, and not about the "more" that the prosperity "gospel" advocates push. The abundant life Jesus promises is not about material wealth and prosperity, but about wealth of character and Christlikeness. The specific virtues the author talks about are in 2 Peter 1:5 - 7:

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.
2 Peter1:5 - 7

6. My house is a wreck. I'm not sure quite why. Maybe not feeling like cleaning has something to do with it?

7. Um, that's it. I'm out of steam, and out of coffee break time.

No comments: