Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Wherein I prove I am a geek *Updated*

It's on it's way! The notice came from CBD today - my English Standard Version study Bible has finally been shipped!

Confession #1: I am a Bible geek.

The ESV translation is fairly new, though it builds on past translations. I have a copy in my Bible software, and have been reading it off and on for the last year or so. The text, while still a literal, word-for-word translation, flows a bit easier than my beloved NASB, also a literal translation. The study Bible - chock full of notes, maps, cross references and other resources - came out in hard cover earlier this year, but I wanted to wait for the leather bound edition to be published.

Confession #2: I am a Bible geek who prefers high-end bindings.

After years of using the trusty Ryrie NAS study Bible, I plan to use the new ESV as my read-through-the-Bible resource for 2009. I've been using the ESV for memory work for the last six months as well - the flow when read aloud is a bit more fluid than the NAS, which makes it easier to memorize. Take a look at the translation comparisons on the ESV Bible blog, and you will see (hear?) what I mean.

The drawback to using a new Bible, however, is that none of my personal notes will be in it. The NAS has years of my own notes scribbled in the margins, underlining and highlighting. A friend at church recently went through and copied her notes from her old Bible to her new; I've of two minds on whether or not to do the same. There's much to be said for allowing the Spirit to renew a passage for you.

Besides, it would take me weeks.

Now the waiting begins. CBD ships via the post office. Based on past experience, their standard shipping (I sprang for the genuine leather binding; I didn't have the cash for the expedited shipping) will take anywhere from three days to the full "up to two weeks" they state on the order form. With a bit of luck, I will get it by the time I'm on vacation next week.

Woo hoo!

*Yipee! As of 4:29 a.m. this morning, the package is at the New Berlin USPS sort station. There is an outside chance I'll have it tomorrow, though Monday or Tuesday is more likely.

No comments: