Friday, October 17, 2008

Peri-Menopausal Moment: Off Balance

Alternative title: If you're going to make a big mistake, make sure it is in your favor.

I'm one of those annoying people who actually balance their checkbook to the penny. Not only do I balance it on a monthly basis, I check the balance on-line at least once a week, doing the math on the outstanding items to make sure the bank and my checkbook are in agreement. Not only is this kind of thing my natural bent, it's my vocation - checking and reconciling.

Accordingly, I was a bit perturbed when my calculations didn't work. It seemed the bank had more money than I did. After checking and rechecking the items that were outstanding, rerunning the math in the checkbook several times and redoing the whole process on several different days, the difference still remained. Since my manual checkbook and Quicken (oh yeah, I also use Quicken for my finances...yes, I'm a nerd) agreed, I kept thinking my calculation had to be wrong, even though I was convinced it wasn't.

Naturally, it was another week before the end of my banking month. Now however, the statement is available and I could set my mind at rest.

Not only did I enter a debit purchase from Target twice in the manual register, I didn't catch the error when I put it in Quicken. The end result? More money to play with while on vacation.

Maybe this peri-menopausal fog thing isn't so bad, after all.

No comments: