Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Snippets 10-28-08

Zero the polar bear is still wandering around the moat. He seems to like it down there, so zookeepers have placed a metal crate in the moat with him, loaded up with fish and other goodies. The idea is that when Zero goes in to the crate to get the food, they will drop the gate and haul the crate (and Zero) out. So far, he's not taking the bait. Hey, he's had peace and quiet for two weeks now, shelter from the wind, a few toys to play with - I don't blame him one bit for staying put.

This is the difficult season; the heat is technically on, but is rarely truly on, if you know what I mean. Granted, I keep the thermostat set on what some people would consider arctic. At this time of year, if I increase the temperature to take the chill off, I get too warm. If I don't change it, I find myself craving hot beverages just so I can cradle the warm mug in my hands.

Not looking forward to the time change. Sure, I like the idea of more light in the morning (when you leave the house at 6:15 every morning, it's nice to be able to find the car without a flashlight), but the earlier sunset is depressing. No wonder I spend so much time quilting in the winter - full spectrum, true daylight lamps are good for more than just correctly matching colors.

Starting the second half of our Bible study tonight. The dancing barista certainly adds to the ambiance. Weird language stuff: "barista" apparently applies to both male and female in english, but the correct plurals (baristi for all male or mixed sex groups, bariste for all female groups) retain the gender orientation from the original Italian. Frankly, as long as they get my order right, I'll call them anything they want.

No comments: