Friday, July 18, 2008

The weekend at last

Well, almost - I suppose I do have to work the remaining five hours and fourteen minutes of this day. This is one of the most stressful weeks of the year (the next two will also deserve that moniker) and it is wonderful to see it end. So we can come back fresh next week. Erg.

That said, there are definite plans to relax this weekend. Our little group of card sharks is getting together tonight for dinner and some games. Pam is planning on putting some shish kabob on the grill - yum. Her plans to move to MO are shifting a bit, which could be good news for me personally (because, yes, it's all about me and I was hating the thought of my best friend being so far away - sue me).

Early tomorrow morning, I'm planning to take myself to Panera for some much-needed study/journaling/staring into space time. If I have to solve one more person's problem/fix one more person's stupid mistake/deal with one more person's "crisis" (that is always self-created) I'm going to be forced to do that person serious harm. The rest of the University doesn't seem to understand that for our office, year-end is not a single day, but a two-month long journey through the depths of auditor-infested hell. It's not that we have any issues with our accounting, rather, we are understaffed at the best of times, much less when we have the added burden of an audit to prepare for.

I love my job.

So - solitude-in-the-midst-of-a-crowd time Saturday morning.

Afterwards, I'm off to help Karin with her sequel to last weekend's rummage sale. She's determined to have another one, monsoon or shine. Did I mention that our weather forecast for today and tomorrow includes heavy rain and severe storms much as we had in June? She lives on the Root River Parkway...I may need a boat to get to the sale.

After that, the weekend is a blank slate. Laundry, grocery shopping and cooking will all be accomplished. The mountain of unsold stuff in the living room will be scaled. Or at least relocated. I may even do some sewing. Better yet, some napping.

The State Fair starts two weeks from now. I'm toying with the idea of going to see Jeremy Camp on Tuesday night. I'm sure I won't need to actually go to see the Charlie Daniels Band on Saturday - they'll be loud enough to be heard all the way at my house. I need to decide if I'm going to do the annual office cream puff run; the woman who used to do it was let go last August, just before the fair, and I filled in. Have you ever tried to fit three dozen softball sized cream puffs (packaged very neatly, four to a cardboard box that has a stand-up handle) in a Civic? If I do it this year, I'm emptying out my entire trunk and putting most of them there. At least if I use the trunk, all the spilled powdered sugar will be out of sight.

Fun fact from the Fair website:

"Corporate delivery is provided by Bell Ambulance for orders of ten (10) dozen or more. "

!!!!!

Um - butter, flour, eggs, real whipped cream, lots of powdered sugar...

Yes, these cream puffs are worth it.

No comments: