Saturday, January 26, 2008

A dry and thirsty land

It is simply amazing how often you use water. Quenching thirst, washing dishes, flushing toilets.

My water was stuck ON in the kitchen faucet, and we know what a carnival of error any repair issues are with my landlord. At the moment, after three four and a half hours of waiting and messing about, it appears the issue is solved...temporarily. Because, you know, the landlord is trying to get a part for the existing faucet.

That was a cheap one to start with.

That is over seventeen years old.

That he thought about replacing (but obviously did not) the last time it broke, in September.

At the moment, the kitchen sink is without a handle on the faucet, but the water is no longer streaming in torrents (hot, natural-gas heated, expensive torrents) from the tap. The water is turned back on (old house - no individual shut offs for the various sinks, so it is all on or all off) and I can use the facilities again. The bad news is that the repair is not complete, and I am willing to bet that it will be days (and days, and days) before it is.

It may be is petty to whine, but the combination of my landlord's prior track record regarding repairs, and my own set of baggage from my growing up years regarding my dad's utter lack of interest in doing anything for his real family studied neglect of repair issues at home make me fall to pieces when this happens (and I have no control or voice in the process, which is a whole 'nother issue for me).

Anyway, I'm off to bed. At least I can look forward to a hot shower in the morning.

No comments: