Saturday, October 20, 2018

Cooking fool

Taking a well-deserved break while the InstantPot does its thing on tomatoes, turning them into yummy marinara sauce.

Considering I got up an hour later than usual, messed around for over an hour, then went back to bed and slept until nine, I'm doing pretty well. By the time I'd gotten ready for the day and had a bit of breakfast, it was going on noon.

That's unusual for me, but has been a weekend habit the past several months. It's not sloth, but a medical thing that I'm hoping to have fixed after a doctor appointment Monday. Two meds are not playing nice with each other; my vote is to drop the one that is causing the other to be ineffective, but I fear this doc will think otherwise.

In the meantime, I've found myself dozing away the weekends, not accomplishing, well, anything.

I think I've made up for it a bit this afternoon.

- Cooked a dozen hard-boiled eggs
- Blanched/lightly steamed all the fresh broccoli so it is ready to heat up for dinners the next few days
- Made a batch of breakfast hash and portioned it out in containers for weekday lunches
- Prepared the stuff for the sauce and got it going in the InstantPot
- Prepped the food for Pumpkin Soup - it's really easy, but I may wait until tomorrow to make it
- Took two packages of Italian sausage links out to thaw, which will be cooked and portioned one link to a container, covered with a bit of the marinara and frozen

Makes me tired just typing it.

The soup or the eggs will do for lunches next week. I've shelled pumpkin seeds to top the soup, which is always fun. No cheese, though.

The temptation to order dinner in is strong, but the Italian sausage is really, really good, so I'm going to hold out for that.

It's been a blustery, raw day with reports of some wet snow that didn't reach the ground (I didn't see any here, la la la, I can't hear you...), perfect for messing around in the kitchen.

I may finish the evening with a glass of wine in front of the fire.

Welcome, autumn.


No comments: