Saturday, July 22, 2017

#24in48 post one

The #24in48 Readathon is off to a blurry start in the quiltbabe household. Ironically, it's because I'm tired to due staying up too late last night...reading.

Need for coffee: Caffeine level five.

The plan, assuming things don't get derailed (and the train of my life never, ever runs on new, smooth track) is to get some coffee and breakfast into me while reading for about an hour. There is still housework to be done, but even that has a reading strategy: clean for twenty minutes, read for twenty minutes. Off and on until the housework is more or less done, or I get so deep in a book I forget to clean. (I know which of those two things is more likely)

The two books I'm trying to finish this weekend:

Giddy Up, Eunice, by Sophie Hudson
This is a simply delightful book on women's mentoring relationships among believers. If you are familir with Sopie's style from her previous books (A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet and Home is Where My People Are) you know that her books are much like sitting down with a good friend and letting the conversation flow.

This book is a bit more structured, as she shares what she has learned both from Scripture and other women on the importance of us mentoring one another. It's worth noting that unlike a lot of other books on the subject, she is not pushing a program, but promoting relationships. I think I'm over halfway through (nonfiction is not my usual jam; it may have been over a month since I last read any of this book.)

Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential, by Barbara Oakley
A couple of years ago I took a free online course called Learning to Learn, for which Dr. Oakley was one of the teachers. The course went through the science of how we learn, and why certain strategies for learning were effective/ineffective. This book carries those ideas a bit further. Through stories of people who have successfully made radical career changes or discovered passions they did not know they had, Dr. Oakely explains the shifts in thinking needed to make those changes.

Interestingly, most of the people whose shifts are documented here have moved from a more creative or less structured realm into the areas of math and science.

I'm slowly making my way through - I'd say I'm about a third of the way done.

I suppose I should wash my face, put in the contact lenses and get to it, huh? Will come back and post the updated hours read periodically.

Total hours read: Zero.

No comments: