Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Darkest day

The winter solstice came and went at 4:44 a.m. my time, leaving us to endure the shortest day of the year.

Perhaps because of our weather patterns, the solstice doesn't always feel like the shortest day in our rather long winter. The sun will shine today, which makes everything look and feel better, even if for a shorter day. It's the gloomy, snow-laden cloudy days that make you wonder if the sun is truly behind the clouds, or if it's scarpered off to Brazil permanently.

I don't notice much of a difference, as my days tend to be dark at both ends of the workday from Thanksgiving until almost Groundhog's Day. It's strange - driving in the dark in the wintertime feels different than driving in the dark in the summer. Rationally, I know it isn't really any darker in winter, it just feels like it.

I'm all about the "feels" today.

No plans to sacrifice the cows tonight, though I may eat a slab of one, alongside a glass of fermented grape juice. Those would be the modern interpretations of common northern hemisphere solstice traditions.

1 comment:

melissa said...

Supposed to rise to around 70 here on Christmas Day. Girls a bit hacked off, wanting a freezing cold day, but I'll try not to gloat. :) Love it warmish.