Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Guilded

After a gap of some fifteen years, last night I went to a local quilt guild meeting. Guilds can provide inspiration, knowledge and camaraderie, as well as the opportunity to show your work at any guild quilt show.

In spite of not being much of a joiner, I thought the guild might do me some good. First off, I'm trying to correct the "Diane doesn't get out much" state of my life. Ever since I bought the condo almost five years ago, I find myself quite content to hang out at home. There is always something to be done, whether it's maintenance, hobbies or plain old housework.

Second, being part of the guild should help me get more advance notice of some of the quilt happenings around the area. I often don't find out about shows or classes until a week or so before they happen, and I'm short on either cash or time.

Third, it should help me discover whether or not there would be a market for long arm quilting services, should I decide to become more serious about developing a business as a retirement project.

The group has shrunk since I last was there, from over one hundred to just under fifty members. It's a bit concerning; you do want to make sure you are constantly recruiting new, younger members so the group will continue. I had to laugh when the woman organizing the raffle quilt for the quilt show talked about wanting to set up a database of people who want receive an email blast related to upcoming events - she said it was time to bring the guild "into the twentieth century". I didn't have the heart to correct her.

Speaking of updating communication, they decided to shutter their long-dormant website, as apparently no one knows how to maintain it. I took another look, and from what I can see, it is a WordPress blog. I'm thinking this is a tangible way I can contribute immediately, and help bring the guild "into the twentieth century".

If nothing else, being part of the guild will help me work to finish some projects, just to bring them for show and tell.

No comments: