Sunday, January 10, 2016

Not my finest hour

I blame the following on being tired, not on having turned another year older on Friday:

Late Sunday afternoons are spent packing at least two days of lunches for the coming work week. It's more efficient than making one lunch every night; it is certainly less risky than trying to put something together at o-dark-thirty when I'm in a hurry to leave the house.

In an effort both save money and eat a bit healthier, the plan is to start packing breakfast, rather than picking it up. What better way to start than with blueberries, yogurt and granola?

When I was done assembling the container of blueberries and yogurt for tomorrow, I realized I'd lost the lid for the just opened quart of yogurt. Granted, there was food and containers all over the countertop, but I could not find that lid anywhere. I'd just rinsed out the old quart of yogurt, so I washed that lid to use on the new one.

It didn't fit.

I hate to admit it, I got a tiny bit emotionally fraught over the missing lid. There may well have been tears. There could possibly even have been a thought that Someone up there hates me.

Through my little tantrum, the lid from the old container was still sitting askew on top of the new. I'd have to cover the container with plastic wrap, and pray I didn't spill the whole thing the next time I wanted yogurt. I reached out to take the old lid to throw out...

...and realized the correct lid was already on the new container, under the one I was trying to put on.

In my semi-automatic lunch packing mode, I'd replaced the lid to the new yogurt container right after I'd used it. The ten seconds it took to close up the container in which I'd put the blueberries and yogurt was just long enough for me to forget that fact, and launch the fruitless search for the lid..that was already on the container.

Note that the old yogurt quart had a solid plastic lid; the new container has a clear plastic lid. I just didn't see it there.

I'm sure there's some sort of spiritual lesson there, I'm just too tired to figure it out right now. I do know that the next time I buy this brand of yogurt, I'm going to take a sharpie and write "LID" in two inch letters across that clear lid.

1 comment:

melissa said...

Losing stuff that's right in front of my face---yeah, I hear you. :)

Hope your birthday weekend was a happy one. Thankfully, another weekend is just ahead.

Love to you, girlfriend.