Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Challenging year

I've never paid a whole lot of attention to posts online trumpeting the latest challenge. Food, eating plans, books to read, fitness - eh.

That changed last May when I joined up in a quilting challenge. I managed to completely finish three of the seven mini quilts during the actual challenge, as well as completely piece and layer a fourth. I've designed (in my head, anyway) the remaining three, to the point of having the fabric on hand.

Not bad, considering the short turnaround time and the fact of a more-than-fulltime job.

I've declared 2016 the year of finishes, in all areas of my life. Quilting just happens to be one of the easier areas to tackle. To that end, I've entered a challenge for the month of February:

The Drop and Give Me Twenty challenge, run by Beth Helfter via a Facebook group.

The object of the DAGMT (why on earth does that acronym always make me think "dadgumit"?) challenge is to spend a minimum of 20 minutes per day quilting during the month of February. The real end goal is to finish up some UFOs (unfinished objects) that could otherwise become TOADs (trashed objects abandoned in disgust).

While I don't have anything that would ever be considered a TOAD, I do have a considerable backlog of projects in process. Time to buckle down.

Did I mention there are sponsors and prizes?

Sometime over the weekend I'll post a list of things I need to work on this month. Ideally, I'd put up a post each day chronicling my progress, but that would take away from quilting time. We'll see how that goes.

Twenty minutes doesn't sound like lot of time (and note that is a minimum), but a lot of progress can be seen when you are consistent about it. I've the luxury of a separate studio where the machine is always set up. In fact, I may set up both machines for this month, the better to switch between things that have different settings.

Four days to organize, then off to the races!

No comments: