Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Puzzlements

Since I got home late after a hair appointment last night, I used the lateness of the hour as an excuse to order Chinese for dinner. Since I was rebelling anyway, I went ahead and got the lo mein, which is basically lots and lots of noodles. Heck with the carb count.

Ordering in put dinner back another hour; it was almost seven before it arrived, and that's easily a couple of hours later than usual for me to eat dinner. Did I mention I also went to bed just after 8:30 last night?

The puzzlement: My morning blood sugar today was the lowest it's been in weeks.

The entire course of my seventeen years at the university I've been paid on a monthly basis. On payday, I transfer a chuck of my pay to the checking account, and electronically or with actual checks pay my bills. Within a week of payday, what is left in the account is the amount I've budgeted for food and gas for the month.

The puzzlement: Allowing for a couple of things that haven't posted yet, my checking account balance is about twice what it should be - I transferred in quite a bit more than I needed. The question: why? Is there something I'm forgetting?

This two week period our nutrition self study is focusing on carbohydrates. Should be a cinch for a type 2 diabetic to do, right? But the program really emphasizes whole grain over just carb count. That's a bit trickier. I checked, and the Kashi GoLean cereal I put on my yogurt is indeed whole grain (one of which is triticale: name that Star Trek episode!)- and high in much needed fiber, as well as low in sugar. The Fiber One Cereal I also use is even higher in fiber (and lower in carbs to start with), and has NO sugar. But it tastes sweeter than the Kashi.

Well, I finally figured it out. At the very end of the ingredient list, Fiber One has aspartame.

The puzzlement: Why would General Mills use an artificial sweetener (and there is nothing on the front of the box to indicate this - you have to read the ingredient list) rather than just a little bit of real sugar on what is supposed to be a "healthy" product"?

No comments: