Sunday, March 02, 2014

February reads

It's been a dry month for reading. Not dry in the sense of dull, boring books, but dry in the sense that after a really good start, time got away from me after Valentine's Day. Here's the list for February:

As you may recall, I read Hugh Howey's Wool Omnibus in January. I like it so much, I read both of the follow up novels in February.

Shift (note both this and Dust are actually three novellas in one) is a prequel of sorts to Wool. It's difficult not to give anything away, but the origins of the world created in Wool are explored, and what you find out may shock you. If not for the events themselves, but for the fact that the tech discussed exists...right now.

Dust is the conclusion of the trilogy. Again, I don't want to give anything away, but you find out much, much more about the silos, the world outside, and the fate of the characters you've traveled with since Wool.

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels - A Love Story by Ree Drummond. Light, autobiographical love story. I'd read the first part on Ree's website long ago, when she first wrote it. The book is edited and revised, carrying the story another year out. I needed something happy and light; I think I read it in less than 36 hours, in bits and pieces.

And that's it for February. Too much going on at work, the temptation of season three of A Game of Thrones to watch, and not quite sure which of the current five books in progress to finish first. Three of them are fairly weighty and long...I simply don't burn through nonfiction the way I do fiction (yeah, having to think slows me down a bit).

No comments: