Friday, August 30, 2013

Company Girls Coffee 083013

You may want your coffee iced this morning; we're in the middle of a late summer heat wave. Actually, it's been our only summer heat wave.

Felt a great deal of gratitude this morning, as I was writing checks for the couple of odd bills I can't pay electronically. I never take for granted the ability to write a check for the entire annual auto insurance premium, the balance in the checkbook still a healthy positive after everything for the month has been paid. It's a bit surreal to know that a great deal of the rest of the world survives for a year on what I just paid to insure my ten year old car.

In spite of the calendar, it doesn't yet feel like autumn. All of the heat that is supposed to come in summer waited until this last two weeks to show up. It should cool off dramatically starting Monday - nice for the kids going back to school in buildings built before the widespread advent of central air conditioning.

But Starbucks has pumpkin loaf in stock, so you know fall will be here soon.

Strange fact: I like pumpkin soup, and have an abiding love affair with Pillsbury's pumpkin bread, but can't stand pumpkin pie.

Deep cleaning the second floor of the condo this weekend. That's not as bad as it sounds - it's a lot of space (600 sq feet), but the only room that takes some time to really get sparkling is the bathroom. Most of the time in there is spent pushing a swiffer duster into the louvers on the stupid plantation door on the linen closet. Grr.

Once that is done, it's into the sewing studio for me. Most of what I intend to do is embroidery, which is a fancy way of saying I set up the machine, push a button and the machine does the rest. While it stitches things out, I can step into the kitchen to begin cooking to stock the freezer. Italian beef and barley soup (slow cooker recipe - beef stew meat, carrots, onions, diced tomatoes, broth and herbs), cornmeal/buttermilk blueberry pancakes and maybe another soup. Over the summer I stopped taking soup for lunch; the return to fall calls for a return to soup.

A low-key holiday weekend: the perfect unofficial end to summer.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are having a "heat" wave over here as well...if you consider the 80s hot. :p We haven't had many super hot days this year, and very little rain. :/ I'm not sure what that says about our winter months.

Too funny about the pumpkin. :p I'm the same with bananas. I used to love bananas, but had a traumatizing event, and now I only have them in smoothies or pancakes...banana splits are okay. ;)