Sunday, June 23, 2013

It's ninety degrees, so I must be baking

Posting that cake recipe gave me all sorts of inspiration. It didn't quite, however, give me enough inspiration to actually make it (and no cake flour in the house). Instead, I've the base for toffee squares in the oven.

Toffee is one of my favorite sweets; any time these squares show up on a dessert bar, I'm sure to have one (or more). I've never made them, even though I have several easy recipes, simply because I do love them so. But it's the hottest day of the year so far, and it just made sense to light up the oven and bake something.

Yeah, that excuse didn't really fly with me, either. I just want them, alright?

It's been a slow, kind of wonky weekend. The Canasta Chicks played yesterday morning; I managed to jump up out of last place on the very last hand. Ordinarily, I'd expect to play better in the morning than in the evening, but Friday night was rather unpleasant.

Aside from getting to bed rather later than usual, I was up several times Friday night with tummy issues, and awake in between thanks to gigantic thunderstorms. For a while there, it seemed the thunder was setting off earthquakes, it rolled so loud and long. My bedroom ceiling is effectively the roof of the condo - torrential rain makes a sweet noise, when it only lasts a minute or two. An hour of it is a different story.

Overall, I may have had four hours sleep that night. At least that's my excuse for playing so badly.

I came home and took a long nap.

Tonight will be an early night, as I plan to go out early tomorrow, just to read and journal. Somehow I'm in the middle of four books; finishing at least one of them would be nice. Doctor appointment late in the afternoon, with cleaning and making lunches in between the two.




No comments: