Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Homonyms

Homonym: a word pronounced the same as another but differing in meaning, whether spelled the same way or not, as heir and air

Their/there, its/it's, bare/bear...and on and on.

People confuse homonyms frequently, but the one that is guaranteed to make my ears or eyes bleed (depending on whether I hear (hear/here) it or see it in print) isn't even a homonym, even though people sometimes pronounce it as if it is.

Then. Than.

Then is indicative of time order. "We went to the swimming pool, then to get some ice cream."

Than is indicative of an unequal comparison, where one alternative is generally presented as preferable to another. "I'd rather have ice cream than go swimming." "Ice cream is better than cake for dessert."

A dear, sweet young lady friend uses "then" rather than (see, I'm using it correctly) "than" in her status and notes every.single.time. Every time. My poor eyes cross when I see it.

I'd just about reached the point of sending her a private message to point this out, when she posted a status using "then" correctly.

Dang. We'll see if this is a sign of things to come, rather than (again, correct usage) a temporary slip of the keyboard.

What are your favorite, most insane-making word issues?

2 comments:

Francesca said...

Just today, saw something with a reference to a "neutral palate." Grrrrrr.

melissa said...

they're, their, there and it's, its, its'

Give me a minute, and I'll think of more! :)