Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A quick run with the lint brush

Time to get rid of some brain lint.

-Clementine season makes me very, very happy. My aversion to sticky fingers and the inelegance of spitting out seeds usually precludes eating fresh citrus, but these little gems bypass those concerns.

-Burt's Bees Lip Balm, on sale, 5 tubes for the price of 4. Throw in some hand cream and a few other things, get free shipping. Another thing that makes me happy. I stash lip balm all over the place - in my purse, in the desk drawer at work, in the sewing cabinet drawer, in the nightstand and in the pretty basket that sits on the end table to hold the remotes. The mystery is that they run out simultaneously.

-I get to do the "reflection" at our departmental meeting today. The shepherd's story from Luke 2 sounds good to me - a reminder of what this season is about. Plus, we're promised "so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it." (Isaiah 55:11) God uses any little bit of His word.

-Still mulling over color choices. I'm not sure why - I fully intend to cover the walls with quilts and other artwork. I did find a perfect fabric for curtains for the sewing studio, in exactly the colors and pattern I want. Unfortunately, it's a Waverly fabric, and even at half price (the current sale) is $35 a yard. Did I mention this is a ten foot wide patio door I'm covering? Methinks I'll do only the valance in this fabric, then make/buy curtain panels out of a solid linen color.

-The quarter yards (twelve of them) of fabric for the charity quilt were...not. Quarter yards, that is. The biggest of the twelve measured only 8 3/4", not nine. The narrowest was just over eight inches - and I needed to cut 8 1/2" squares. Thankfully, the pattern is pretty adaptable, and I've been able to resize the blocks and rejigger the sashing and borders to get the quilt back to a reasonable size. At least I can say truthfully every scrap of fabric was used.

-The sweet pharmacy student at Walgreens gave me an almost painless flu shot last night. Unfortunately, she couldn't alleviate the pain that follows as the vaccine begins to make its way through my system. As usual, my arm is sore and tender, and my head is pounding. It's better than getting sick - but not by much.

-While I appreciate not having to wear winter boots, or spend time brushing off the car, it is a bit strange to be hearing all the Christmas hype and not see a speck of snow. We're in the "dry" portion of our 51-day weather cycle, so no precipitation for almost two weeks. Never fear; the second half of the cycle should bring some fluffy stuff. Along with dizzying overnight temperature swings, also a feature of this year's cycle.

-I need a wood worker, or at least someone with access to a jigsaw or something similar. I need a fireplace screen, or more accurately, a draft screen for when the fireplace is not in use. The idea is to have cut three rectangular panels with curved tops. I'll cover them in batting and fabric, then hinge them together. Even with the dampers and glass doors firmly shut, the fireplace radiates cold.

No comments: