Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Big Brother

For calendar 2009 and continuing for calendar 2010, my employer has offered a five percent discount on the employee portion of our health insurance premium if we participate in a "voluntary" health risk assessment - a baseline set of tests the results of which are fed anonymously into a huge database. The idea is that the data can be used to better pinpoint the types of wellness programs and insurance coverage offered.

Why is "voluntary" in quotes? I don't participate in the program, yet five minutes ago I received a call from the wonderful nurse at my doctor's office, informing me that Giant HealthCare Conglomerate (who manage our self-funded insurance claims, but are NOT the exclusive providers under our policy) had sent them a request for all sorts of medical information on me.

Excuse me?

Heck no.

There are almost two years to go before that health disastercare bill goes into effect, if the country doesn't come to its senses and find a way to repeal it. Until then (and long after, if I have my way), my doctor and I are control of how I manage my health. The bureaucrats have managed this country to the brink of bankruptcy; I won't let them do the same to my health.

The nurse is sending me a copy of the request; the visit I make to HR after I receive it is going to be lots of fun.

No comments: