Thursday, December 03, 2009

Fortune cookie wisdom

After the monthly Target run, I usually stop at my favorite Chinese takeout. Not generally a superstitious person, I still like to stack the deck in favor of a pleasant prognostication from the fortune cookies. In other words, I ask for an additional order of cookies, providing a total of five possible fortunes.

The most recent crop of predictions:

#1 Your clever mind will lead you to many rewards – In all honesty, this should read “your smart mouth will lead you to many problems”.

#2 Next week, your luck color will be green! – One would hope that would mean money, but I’m not holding my breath.

#3 An unexpected event will soon make your life more exciting – The electric is going to be shut off at home most of the day Friday – no heat. Predicted high temperature: 30 degrees. Frozen pipes wouldn’t be exactly unexpected...

#4 Your courage will guide your future – This isn’t looking good; I’m a ‘fraidy-cat at heart. My future must be hiding under the bed, yes, that’s where I can look for it…

#5 – Bonus! I thought the fortune was odd – lucky numbers on both sides of the paper, but it turned out to be two fortunes stuck face to face.

#5a – Be prepared to receive something special within the week – It would be nice if this were related to #2.

#5b – A long lost relative will surface soon to your benefit – One certainly hopes this will not be an inheritance from a relative long lost at sea, if you know what I mean.

It's a good thing I don't have to rely on the world's wisdom.

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
Colossians 1:9 - 10


No comments: