Sunday, October 11, 2009

Lesson from a space cadet's mom

After church today, I wandered over to Borders, mostly to have lunch in the cafe and do a bit of studying, but in part to use their restrooms (So, our church meets in a high school. Not only are the restrooms miles from the chapel, they are, well, high school rest rooms. You get my drift?).

Naturally, the facilities are in the very back of the store, the better to tempt you with yummy books and other merchandise on the way. Taking a more or less direct route, I found my way partially blocked by an eight year old girl, who was walking, but looking around with that far away look with which I am very familiar. Her mom noticed that I changed direction to steer around her, and said, "Krissy, look where you're going, not where you've been."

Look where you're going, not where you've been.

When I came to faith in Christ, my life changed. All my sins - past, present and future - were forgiven, my very nature transformed. The apostle Paul puts it this way:

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
2 Corinthians 5:17


In spite of the fact that I know - beyond any shadow of a doubt - that my sins are forgiven and nothing can separate me from the love of God (Romans 8:38 - 39), every so often I hear that old voice inside my head...

"Yeah, right, you were forgiven for that. Give me a break - you knew better, and you did it anyway. Saying you're sorry and trying not to do it again is useless; you know you'll just go right back into the same old behavior. Not that I'm complaining. Besides, you can tell you're not really forgiven, because it's obvious you're being punished. Why else would things be the way they are? Pfft. You're not "being tested", or "strengthening your faith" - it's plain old retribution on you for your sins, wrapped up in pretty sounding words. Forgiven? No way."

Look where you're going, not where you've been.

Where am I going?

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city,new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."
Revelation 21:1 - 4


I needed that reminder today.

No comments: