Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lazy Sunday

After church I did a quick run to Aldi. I got out of the car, and saw a young man pull his cart up to the car next to me to load his groceries into the trunk. It's fairly common in the Aldi parking lot for people to trade off carts - it saves the person leaving from having to take the cart back to the corral to retrieve their quarter deposit and saves the newcomer the added step of unleashing one. But before I could even say anything, the young man said hello.

I'm not sure what it is about my face, but lately it seems as if complete strangers feel the need to talk to me. Remind me to tell you about the Jehovah's Witness at Panera.

Aside from the cart issue, this young man seemed to need to tell someone how difficult he was finding it to continue his education at MSOE (Milwaukee School of Engineering) due to high tuition costs and the current economic challenges. He just needed to talk, and after about five minutes we parted ways.

I'm still freezing from standing in the cold.

That was all the excuse I needed to spend the afternoon lolling on the couch, basking in the couple of hours of sunshine we had. Napping, watching bits of movies, writing a bit and reading parts of a book were all on the agenda. A pizza is in the oven now, due to come out just as the new season of "24" begins. Every so often it's refreshing to have a truly "nothing" afternoon.

No comments: