Friday, January 09, 2009

7 quick takes

Once again taking Jen's quick takes format, seven quick (OK, maybe not so quick) things rattling around in my head or life at the moment:

1. While I've more or less given up expecting people to take responsibility for their errors, the sheer cheek of this man offends me deeply. He's been stealing for years, yet blames everyone else. Idiot.
__________

2. Another pet peeve - those who take credit (maliciously or without even considering what they are doing) for others' ideas, recommendations or insights. If you've been inspired by someone else, great! But if you pass that inspiration on to others, please be sure to give credit where credit is due, rather than either deliberately claiming the idea as yours, or, by simply not saying anything about the source, implying it is yours.

__________

3. Snow is falling steadily. There is a slight possibility they will send us home early - slight, because the slow but steady pace of the fall allows the plows and salters to keep up. Besides, we need to save our inclement weather days. Next week Wednesday, the high temperature is projected to be somewhere south of zero. We are a mostly residential campus, spread out over about twenty-two city blocks; I can see them canceling classes for the students' sake then.

__________

4. During the window after snow clean up but before deep freeze I need to lay in supplies. I actually do need toilet paper; I'm not one of those crazy stockpilers. When it gets so very cold, it is torture to make several stops for shopping after work. Tonight I'll make a meal plan for the rest of the month as well as a Target list, then stop at Aldi and Target either later Saturday or Sunday. Knowing that you are well provisioned and can stay cozy and warm is a comfort. I can't do much about needing to go out to work; I can make sure I come home and stay home afterwards.

__________

5. Cleaning and laundry dominate the weekend front. It appears as if almost every bath towel and a large number of kitchen towels are in the laundry basket. The office/sewing room is still a mess of velvet fuzz and stray boa bits. The kitchen, normally the first room to look seedy, is actually in good shape, perhaps because I've been cooking this week.

__________

6. Get thee behind me, Christian Book Distributors! Stop luring me in with your "preferred customer" discounts, Mid-week Markdowns and Fabulous Friday deals. Seriously, I can't resist temptation. It's time to hit delete rather than open. But then I'll miss the all-too-infrequent free shipping deals. Several years ago I weeded out the personal library, and vowed to use the public library (ironically, located half a block from my home) rather than buy books. But somehow I seem to have convinced myself that books purchased from CDB are "holier" and are entitled to an exemption to the "no new books" policy. Now, if the library would send me regular updates on new releases...

__________

7. In spite of the fact that all enthusiasm I had for this work day has evaporated, there are some things I'd like to clear off the desk, so I can start fresh on Monday. If I'm on the ball, the desk is pretty clear on Friday at quitting time, and I've a list of priorities for the next week. Monday is easier to deal with if I'm that little bit more organized. Off to it then.

No comments: