Sunday, November 04, 2007

Rapidly losing my mind

Several weeks ago, I promised another unit that I do a great deal of business with a basket of cookies, as they are very helpful, and have just moved into a new office and need the sugar fix to finish unpacking. Being me, I put off baking until 4 p.m. tonight, to encounter the following obstacles:

  • The recipe for Maple Cookies seemed to have been eaten by my hard drive, until I remembered that I had not yet put it into the handy cookbook software, but had it on a word document.
  • After I unwrapped and cut up a full cup of butter for said cookies, I measured out the maple syrup on hand and realized I had exactly half as much as I needed for a full batch. I now have a nice little bowlful of softened butter squares I did not use.
  • Mix up the cookies, and realize the dough needs to chill for several hours (new recipe). This is not looking good.
  • Move to cookie #2 - the Pillsbury boy's famous sugar cookies. Now to find the maple leaf cookie cutters - I have a set of nested ones of various sizes.
  • Twenty minutes later, I've found one large maple leaf, nested Christmas trees, nested shamrocks (?!), nested hearts, assorted angels, bells, flags, stars and a squirrel. Guess they are getting big leaves and squirrels. That seems oddly appropriate.
  • Open the tube of cookie dough, flour up the board and try to squish down the dough prior to rolling it out. Hmm. That's kind of hard. Not exactly squishable. I feel like Goldilocks of the cookies: that one is too warm, this one is too cold. Go write blog post while dough warms up. At this rate, I'll be baking cookies at midnight.

Yes, this is my own fault. Baking is not my best skill; procrastinating didn't help. They may not get their cookies tomorrow, but they will get them...Tuesday. Hopefully.

As further proof of the loss of my mind, I've also volunteered to make 10 dozen cookies for a holiday function taking place on November 29th. Needless to say, none of those will be cut out cookies.

Edit: The tray of sugar cookie leaves came out looking more or less like leaves, which is a good thing. The squirrels are currently baking. My one fear is breaking off their tails when I remove them from the pan. I can always claim the cookies are to honor Squirrel Nutkin.

No comments: