Friday, October 27, 2006

What's cookin'

A while ago I asked about cornbread, and ignited a firestorm of Southern Cooking lessons over at Terry's place, on cornbread, grits and biscuits.

Based on the last comments, the discussion may turn to desserts - apparently Southerners save all the sugar not used in cornbread, grits and biscuits and put it in their desserts. While I may not make pecan pie (too sweet for even my northern tastes), I DO make some tasty deviled pecans.

Deviled Pecans

1 pound shelled pecans
1/3 cup butter -- melted
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place nuts in a shallow baking pan. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over nuts and stir well.

Bake 20 minutes, stirring twice during the cooking. Let cool on thick paper towels. Store in airtight container.


I brought these to a wedding shower I helped throw - the father of the bride ate half the container before we even started the event. They are just a tad addictive.

No comments: