Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Wildlife

Since the curious affair of the possum (this kind, not this kind), I've been a bit more aware of the wildlife with whom we share our fair city. There are often reports of deer in the (wealthier, larger-lot sized) western areas of West Allis, and plenty of squirrels, chipmunks, moles and their friends around. But this morning, for the first time ever, I actually saw a raccoon out after daybreak. I was on my way to Bible study at 5:30 this morning, and saw a couple of animals having a little skirmish on the corner. Just about the time it registered that one of the combatants was a raccoon, it disengaged and dropped into the sewer. By this time I was well past - all I know about the other animal is that it was white/orange, and may have been a cat, although a fairly good sized one. The raccoon was pretty hefty as well.

It is constantly amazing how well the animals have adapted to the changing environment in the city. We may think they have left - they've simply become much better at hiding.

No comments: