Sunday, January 20, 2013

Flitting and fluttering

I really am a dork. Or more specifically, a butterfly, flitting from one thing to another.

This weekend has been a total flutter-fest. While things are getting done, nothing is truly being accomplished. For example, I've started in on the sewing studio, but in a haphazard way. Yesterday I unpacked and/or rearranged a couple of boxes, then realized I needed to go get the box cutter for the next one.

I finally got back to what I was doing in there this afternoon.

On the plus side, one of the boxes unpacked today held some candle holders I had forgotten about that just happen to be a perfect fit for the new living room colors.

That discovery led to a forty-five minute detour to put them out, get the rest of the mantle stuff out of the front closet (where it was stored during the painting project) and to pack the rest of the embroidery hoops and supplies in the module bag in preparation for tomorrow's lesson.

As I said, flutter-fest.

On the plus side, I've roasted and taken off the bone a giant chicken, then cooked the carcass down for broth for soup. While there is soup in the crockpot, it's not that soup. I'm also making Italian Beef and Barley soup. The chicken soup will come a bit later today.

Soup is a good thing, as it is bitter cold outside. We'll dip below zero overnight Monday, they say. Single digit highs are the standard through Tuesday.

Speaking of "Oooo, shiny!" distractions, I've run off several episodes of Firefly as background to various doings this weekend, and I've come to a conclusion regarding the reason for it's enduring popularity: it was canceled before Joss Whedon had a chance to take it to the dark side.

Stay with me here. Take a look at any of Whedon's longer lasting series, and at some point, each and every one of them - Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse -  goes to a very dark place. He himself has said that as a writer, he wants his characters to change and evolve, and that means taking them to some very twisted events. He never had an opportunity to do that with the folks in Firefly.

I need to go play around with the embroidery software for Tuesday's class. It needs to be loaded into the computer, then copied to a USB drive, then imported into the sewing machine computer. We're supposed to bring our computers to the class, but my laptop doesn't have a CD drive. I'm confident of my computer skills, but a bit nervous about loading the images into the sewing machine computer; I'll wait for class to do that.

Better get back to it. Though what exactly "it" is is anyone's guess.

No comments: