Monday, April 30, 2007

Light my fire?

The ignitor on the gas dryer went out on Saturday, in the middle of a smallish load of bath towels. Sigh. The lonely Maytag repairman is coming on Friday to fix it; assuming I'm right in my diagnosis (and I am, trust me), he was able to give me a quote including labor and parts.

Given that my washer and dryer are 30+ and 25+ years old, respectively, I've developed a bit of a relationship with the LMRM. Not that they break down often - the (original) washer motor was replaced six years ago, a small plastic part (the ONLY plastic part) on the washer replaced two years ago, two ignitors on the dryer over the same fifteen year period - just enough that I know who to call. Even with the cost of the repairs over the years, I'm below what I would pay for a new, cheap set.

And heaven knows, new ones would not last thirty years.

So, the LMRM is coming over late Friday afternoon. Thank heavens he is nothing like Jesse White.

No comments: